Thursday, March 26, 2009

5 months

It has been 5 months since the surgery and it has almost come full circle. For the last month and a half I have been doing all team workouts with the team. We have been doing a long distance run about 4.2 miles and 400 meter sprints and shorter distance sprints around the soccer field. During the last two weeks I have been joining the team in soccer training sessions. I haven't been cleared to play full contact so when I'm about to go into a tackle I try to pass the ball away to steer away from any major contact. I feel like I can go into a tackle but there is no point risking it during the spring season which has no meaning or importance. I still have a little soarness at night or during the day after a long hard training session. I don't have any pain while I play and I can do everything normal except go into a collision. I have no problem cutting or changing directions and pace. I do have pain if I try to put my heel to my butt when I sit down, I hope that pain goes away. Our trainer is trying to get the surgeon to clear me to play mid April so I can play in our game on April 18th. I'm not sure if the surgeon will go through with it because he is very conservative but I will let you know in 3 weeks. It is such an adrenaline rush to finally be able to play something you love and have done since you were four and weren't physically able to for the past 7 months. Not much else to report except that I can do almost everything normal again, run full speed, kick full power (almost), cut and change directions, etc. I'm still fat because as soon as I was losing weight and getting back into shape, seven friends and I decided to go to Cancun for spring break and our resort had all you can eat and drink 24 hours a day and we were there for 7 days. That was fun and I'm glad I'm still alive. I will keep you updated when I see the surgeon next.

2 comments:

paule said...

Wow, I can't believe you've managed to get where you are in only 5 months. There's hope for us all yet!

I go in for PCL/MCL allograft surgery in just over a week so checking out how people are doing. Good to hear a story like yours.

Paul

justintrammell said...

It's good to see you recover so fast. It helps going into the surgery in good health and good shape. That's what helped me as well. I had a PCL reconstruction in August 2011 and I was back to running 4-6 miles in February. Unfortunately my body rejected the cadaver and I had another surgery in May. This time they did my PCL and my LCL as well. The LCL was suppose to be fixed the first time but for whatever reason they chose not to. This time the recovery is a lot slower. Best of luck on your speedy recovery.