Friday, December 5, 2008

Day 43

It's day 43 and my knee feels a lot better. I can walk normal again and go up and down stairs almost free of pain. I can bend my knee 132 degrees when someone stretches me out and I can bend it 128 on my own. During physical therapy I have started to run on the underwater treadmill which is pretty exciting and I can go all the way around on the bike so I can start to get fitness in. I walk for 2 minutes in the underwater treadmill and then run for 10 and then walk for 3 minutes to cool down. I bike for about 5 to 10 minutes and Ive started to do more on leg press and im doing wall squats for a minute while throwing a weighted ball. Physical therapy still last around 2+ hours and 5-6 days a week. Most of the exercises I do work on balance and strengthening the quad muscle. My body is very sore from all of the new muscles that get worked during new exercises especially my butt, calf, hamstring, but I'm starting to get healthier. I'm beginning to gain some of my weight back. I took a bod pod test the other day in which you sit in an egg shaped machine and it calculates your lean muscle and your body fat and I'm at 153 pounds (still about 7 pounds underweight), 8 pounds of fat and 5.4 percent body fat. My last test was in August and I was 161 pounds with 8 pounds of body fat so Ive lost mostly muscle.

4 comments:

JSullivan said...

Hi there! So I'm joining the group, which I don't think is a good thing by any means. I'm actually having PCL reconstructive surgery on my left knee this Friday, December 12th. I'm not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to having some stability in my knee again. I've been dealing with this for the past 10 years due to a wrestling incident my senior year of high school. Your blog and skinnygurls has given me some insight into the whole process and it is much appreciated. I'll continue to follow yours and may even start one of my own. Good luck with your continued recovery!

Joey

Unknown said...

Hey Charles,

Good luck with the recovery!
I was wondering, how long after your complete tear of the PCL, did you have the reconstruction done?

Pete.

sockers4 said...

Joey,

Good luck with the recovery, you will be very frustrated in the beginning but you will soon be back on your feet. It looks like your only a couple days out of surgery, and my advice is try to bend it as much as possible and as frequent as possible and no matter how much it hurts. The more range of motion you have, the less pain you have. Good luck and let me know how your coming along.

sockers4 said...

Peter,

My case was a little unusual due to the amount of other injuries I had (broken wrist and elbow and surgery to repair both sides of my groin from sports hernias). But if my knee was my only injury they said it would of been I think 3-6 weeks after the initial tear. There was a small gash on the front of my knee and they said they need that to heal completely before I go into surgery else I have a greater risk of infection. So once the scab went away they would operate. They also wanted everything in my knee to calm down including the swelling. So to answer your question I think it would be about 4 weeks after injury.