Saturday, November 1, 2008



Day 9

It has been a long week and some change but I'm starting to see improvements in my knee. I have 8 incisions and 25 staples in my knee. I'm in a knee brace locked at 0 Degrees. My knee is locked out straight for a 4-6 weeks which means I can't walk or drive for that time. I've never had to use crutches before so it took a couple days to learn and get used too ( looks fun but it sucks!) and also trying to sleep on my back. The first week I was fighting a fever, chills, and cold sweat. I'm also equipped with a game ready, which is a device that you fill up with ice and water and you put a sleeve around you knee and it pumps ice cold water ( usually 38 Degrees) and pressure. I'm allowed to put 50-75 percent of my weight on my left leg but i can't totally stand on it until at least 4 weeks. The first couple days I couldn't move my leg in any direction. I began rehab and now I can see the swelling go down and much more movement in my leg. I will try and explain what exercises that I'm doing but I will also post my recovery protocol so you can follow along or in case you are about to undergo surgery and want to see what your limited to for the next 6 months or so. At day 5 I could bend my knee 49 Degrees and my excercises include leg raises, ankle pumps, quad sets, bending my knee, knee cap movements, knee extensions and stepping out with my leg and bringing my hips over my left leg to put weight on it and also sliding sidways. My knee has minimal pain, however I have terrible pain in my calf and shin.

No comments: