Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pre-Surgery

My name is Charlie and I play soccer for Virginia Tech. It was a disappointing season this year because after finishing 3rd in the nation last year and making it to the final four, I tore my PCL in the second game of the season. I'm first going to explain my injury plagued month. In early August during preseason for the upcoming soccer season, I developed a sports hernia on both sides of my groin (bilateral sports hernia). A sports hernia is a little bit different than an inguinal hernia as it deals with a split of the muscle instead of a gnenetic weakness in your body. However I decided to try and play through it. During our second game of the seaosn against the University of Washington in late August I had a blow to my knee in a slide tackle during a wet game in Portland, Oregon. My knee blew up with swelling and the cross country air travel didn't help. I had my knee drained and the team doctors suspected minor PCL damage but nothing too major. I did rehab all week and played in the next game a week later and while jumping over a slide tackle, the opposing players head struck my knee and my knee was reinjured. The following day I fell while walking down the stairs when my knee gave out and broke my wrist and fractured my elbow and also falling on my knee. I then got an MRI and it revealed a complete tear of my PCL. Now after doing a number on myself my medical transformation began. I was in a sling for my elbow and a cast for my broken wrist. I underwent surgery on both sides of my groin. This was terrible pain for 2 weeks. I couldn't cough, laugh, walk upright, basicallydo anything for 2 weeks. I underwent PCL surgery on October 23rd, 2008. And after 8 weeks in a cast I got my cast off my wrist and put into a splint.

1 comment:

paige said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.